Restoration of listed building
Neville Hall and Wood Memorial Hall together house the North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers – founded in 1852. Now more commonly referred to as The Mining Institute, the building is Listed Grade II*.
The Mining Institute is of high architectural and townscape significance whilst the institution itself, together with the library and collection it houses are of corresponding cultural significance. DDA compliment level, inclusive access for all – into and around the Mining Institute is however currently not possible.
The original building fabric remained largely intact until 1972 when a range of unsympathetic alterations, detrimental to the character of the historic building, were undertaken.
Miller Partnership are currently working with the Mining Institute on two projects: An initial programme to undo the mistakes of the 1970’s through restoration of the public entrance areas is currently underway on site. Whilst initial ideas to resolve their considerable access issues are being discussed with English Heritage and the Local Planning Authority.